We enhance the quality of life in the Roxbury community by connecting people to each other, to diverse collections, and to transformative experiences.
The Roxbury Library is an innovative center of learning and discovery that reflects the spirit of our community.
We strive to accomplish this by providing:
We place great value in:
Formation of the Roxbury Public Library was begun in 1959 as a project of the Roxbury Woman’s Club and the Certificate of Incorporation of the Roxbury Public Library Association was filed and recorded on May 6, 1960. The members of the club were the catalysts behind the formation of the Roxbury Library Association and the opening of the Library on February 20, 1961. The first library building was the former home of Theodore Frelinghuysen and Queen Anne Cottage. The home was constructed in 1887 for Dr. Wolfe, his wife Gertrude Franklin Wolfe and their one-year-old Mary.
In November of 1968 the residents of Roxbury voted to municipalize their Library. By 1971 the “library in the house” was bursting at the seams with books, structurally unsound, and too small to meet the needs of a rapidly growing community. A bequest from local author Mary Wolfe Thompson and funding from the Township enabled the first part of the current building to be erected on property behind the house. This new Library building was dedicated on September 8, 1974.
Since that time the Library has expanded twice. The first addition in 1983 provided additional space for adult and children’s materials. The second addition, which was completed in the summer of 1993, provided much-needed quiet study space, increased seating, an expanded Reference Department, an improved check-out area, a computer resources center, a periodical reading room, and a small meeting room. In addition, the exterior of the building was modified to harmonize with the other buildings in the Main Street Historic District. A new landscape design was donated by Al Wartman, a Roxbury resident and nurseryman. With this latest addition, the Library was expanded to 13,596 square feet and extensively renovated with funds from bequests and donations – tax dollars were not used.
The Library is now almost five times bigger than it was when it started, but those who look carefully will find stained glass from the original building hanging in the reading room, and pieces of gingerbread from that first Library in the Queen Anne Summerhouse in the front yard. Likewise, the Library’s impetus to service remains the same — new or refurbished spaces, and computers in place of paper, are just improved tools for its ongoing goal of providing information and serving as a community center for educational, literary, and cultural activities.
Computer & Internet Use Policy
Library of Things Policy & Lending Agreement
Policy Regarding Use of In-House Equipment
Unaccompanied Children & Patrons w/ Special Needs
Appendix - Application for Use of the Display Case
Appendix - Meeting Room Application
Appendix - Request for Reconsideration of Library Materials