20 hours a week: 10am-2pm, Monday to Friday.
GENERAL JOB DESCRIPTION
Functions at the highest non-supervisory level of the non-professional Library Assistant
positions. Provides clerical and administrative support to the Library Director, department
supervisors and library staff. Works within a framework of established Library policies, rules
and regulations to perform a variety of detailed, non-routine duties. Follows prescribed
instructions or standardized methods when doing this work. Work requires a broad
understanding of office administrative functions. A general understanding of library operations is
AUTHORITY AND ACCOUNTABILITY
Functions under the direct supervision of the Library Director. When assignments are specified,
the individual selects and evaluates the procedures, timing, materials and work aids to be utilized
in completing the task or project. Decisions made or actions taken may require independent
judgment and innovative problem solving.
EXAMPLES OF WORK:
1. Performs specialized or technical clerical work for the Director including the following:
- Creates and revises a wide variety of documents, using appropriate office software, including: correspondence, forms, memoranda, lists, reports, statements, and certificates.
- Answers the telephone, greets visitors, and takes phone and in-person messages accurately. Gives routine information in person and over the phone; refers messages and calls to the proper department.
- Sorts and distributes mail.
- Addresses, stamps, and mails correspondence and packages as needed.
- Prepares materials for distribution, as required, including photocopying, collating, stapling, counting and packaging.
- Maintains various mailing lists.
- Maintains library administration files and records including Trustee files.
- Prepares materials for Library Board meetings and other meetings.
- Maintains public display racks and bulletin boards to keep them current.
- Prepares public announcement materials for publication
2. Performs administrative support work for the Library staff including the following:
- Orders office supplies, checks in orders when received, put supplies away, communicates billing information to bookkeeper, monitors stocks of standard supplies, and monitors expenditures to ensure budget line is not over spent.
- Maintains the personnel directory, organizational chart, emergency list, snow chain, vendor emergency list, and the service organization directory.
- Updates the above as changes occur.
- Performs liaison with service/maintenance organizations as requested by the director.
- Monitors office equipment to ensure that it is in proper working order; schedules repairs as needed.
3. Assists with financial and personnel record-keeping including:
- Compiles payroll sheets and forwards to payroll office.
- Tracks employee leave accruals.
- Picks up paychecks from payroll office and distributes to employees.
- Monitors revenues from library fines and fees; prepares cash revenues for bank deposit.
- Monitors petty cash and arranges petty cash disbursals.
- Attends workshops and seminars relating to duties and functions referred to in this job description.
- Performs other duties as assigned or as needed by the Library Director
- Proficiency in MS Office applications, including MS Word, Excel, and Publisher, as demonstrated for example by MS Office Certification.
- Proficiency in basic web applications, including Google Workspace, Constant Contact etc. Must be comfortable in digital environments.
- Excellent written and verbal communication skills.
- Ability to communicate effectively and maintain effective working relationships with colleagues, business contacts, and community groups.
- Ability to understand, remember, and carry out instructions on a variety of highly detailed tasks.
- Ability to function in harmony with library rules and established procedures.
- Ability to organize and prioritize work and follow through with little supervision.
- Ability to cumulate numerical data and report information accurately.
- High School diploma or its equivalent; some college preferred.
- Two (2) years or more experience in an administrative support role.
Successful candidate must be able to pass a background check.
Send a cover letter, resume, and three references to Radwa Ali, Director, at email@example.com. Submission deadline is Friday, 8/27/21.